We acknowledge the school’s own complicity in systemic racism, and our responsibility to do more to dismantle white supremacy and violence.
This donation is only the first step as the School confronts systemic racism within our own walls.
In the wake of the racist killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor, I am reaching out to reaffirm that the School of Art at Carnegie Mellon University is a community empowered by our differences and diversity.
For the School of Art, it has also been a year of incredible achievements, filled with creativity, perseverance, and ingenuity.
Since we could not celebrate graduation in person this year, the School of Art asked several faculty and notable alumni to record messages for graduates.
- FacultyProfessor Kovak Exhibits in the “Great Lakes Drawing Biennial” at East Michigan State University
- FacultyProfessor Allison Smith Exhibits “Models for a System” at the Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco
- FacultyProfessor Angela Washko Opens Solo Exhibition at Squeaky Wheel Film and Media Arts Center in Buffalo, NY
- MFA / StudentMFA Candidate Shohei Katayama Exhibits in “Tough Art” at the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh
- AlumniMel Bochner BFA ’62 Exhibits “Language Is Not Transparent [Brussels, 2017] at Gladstone Gallery in Brussels