Please note: All applicants to the MFA program must have a Bachelor’s degree. Applicants are considered for Fall semester admission only.
With the exception of official transcripts and TOEFL scores, all application materials and portfolios must be submitted through SlideRoom. You will need to submit the following materials in your application:
- Completed application form
- Completed portfolio/creative work submission
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of all college work
- Artist’s Statement (max 500 words)
- Statement of Interest (max 500 words)
- 3 letters of reference (from professionals who can speak to your work)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (All non-native speakers of English must submit TOEFL or IELTS scores, regardless of previous U.S. study)
- $68 application fee (non-refundable)*
- The Portfolio Review is the most critical component of the application. Applicants may submit:
10-25 slides. SlideRoom only accepts Images (up to 10MB each), Video (up to 500MB each), Audio (up to 60MB each) and PDFs (up to 20MB each). Learn More
- Interactive work: Document interactive software projects with screen-captured demonstration videos, ideally with narration. Please keep documentation under 3 minutes in length, and under 500MB. Let us know which programming languages you used.
Statement of Interest (max 500 words)
The Statement of Interest details why you want to attend this particular program and how you see the program furthering your artistic practice.
The Artist Statement (500 words)
The Artist Statement should lay out your working process and critical influences while contextualizing your work in relationship to contemporary artistic, social, and cultural practices.
All application materials and portfolios must be submitted through SlideRoom.
Graduate Record Examination scores (GRE) are not required.
All applicants are required to send official copies of all college transcripts in order to be considered for admission to the MFA program. Official transcripts may be sent electronically or by mail to the following address:
Carnegie Mellon University
School of Art Graduate Admissions
College of Fine Arts 300
5000 Forbes Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Non-Native Speakers of English
All applicants who are non-native speakers of English are required to take the TOEFL or the IELTS examination regardless of previous U.S. study. Please note the minimum acceptable scores:
TOEFL: 25 in Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking, with a total score no less than 100.
IELTS: 7.5 overall, and with minimum band scores of 7 in Reading, 7 in Listening, 7.5 in Speaking, and 6.5 in Writing.
Students can mail all transcripts and TOEFL scores to the School of Art Graduate Admissions address above. Our TOEFL code is 2074.
Candidates should provide English translations for any transcripts that are not in English.